Too lazy to start a new thread..

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    SB-N5 and N7 are the two N1 system flashes, they are different from P&S which typically have no hot shoe, or if they do is an ISO/Nikon standard. What are you trying to do?
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I saw a micro 4/3rds macro and was envious of the doF so I thought I would see if I could mix my favoured macro technique with a smaller sensor body. Maybe a V1?
    Always learning.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    It works ... well .. but I dont think there is a way to use CLS. I think you are limited in power to the flash and the position of the flash. I have the SB-N5. I must say I have not fully investigated it ..
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

It's looking a little restricted then. No off-camera flash is a problem as I am always in my own shadow at 1:1 so need a bracket and cord for OCF.
    Always learning.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited August 2015
    It's looking a little restricted then. No off-camera flash is a problem as I am always in my own shadow at 1:1 so need a bracket and cord for OCF.
    There must be a way for off camera flash .. though I have not looked .. and its not built in. However, I have used it with bounce flash and a simple piece of paper attached.. worked well enough...

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

There are 3rd party solutions:
    http://promaster.com/spec-sheet.html?catalog[name]=PROMASTER®-Standard-to-Nikon-V1-Hot-Shoe-Adapter-%231415-Flash-Accessories&catalog%5Bproduct_guids%5D%5B0%5D=1093828
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    edited August 2015
    It works ... well .. but I dont think there is a way to use CLS. I think you are limited in power to the flash and the position of the flash. I have the SB-N5. I must say I have not fully investigated it ..
    I think that's one of the stupidest thing about the Nikon 1 system (besides the sky high pricing still). Nikon went as far as getting it compatible with F mount lenses... but decided to put a proprietary flash system on it. It boggles the mind- Nikon is trying to attract attention, and here is Nikon trying to make us buy new flash accessories for a supposed small sensor high end camera, with decidedly low end tactics on flash.

It makes no sense at all, and it's an egregious error.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    There are 3rd party solutions:
    http://promaster.com/spec-sheet.html?catalog[name]=PROMASTER®-Standard-to-Nikon-V1-Hot-Shoe-Adapter-%231415-Flash-Accessories&catalog%5Bproduct_guids%5D%5B0%5D=1093828
    I think that is the opposite of what I meant Ironheart: It allows the 1 series flash to be used on other standard hotshoe cameras according to the description.
    Always learning.
    edited August 2015
    Ha, indeed it is. This is the first one I found, but I thought the promaster looked more solid:
    http://adapting-camera.blogspot.com/2014/10/introducing-v1-f1a-generic-flash.html
    Post edited by Ironheart on
    Argh - manual only! Manual only is so unreliable in the 'run and gun' macro environment. I really need ittl.

Good link though, hopefully useful for manual off camera users on NR.

Always learning.
    @Photobug said:
    Don't know what is going on in this area but there are two D800's and one D800E for sale at low prices with low number of shutter activations, less than 15K. Prices are between $600 and $800. I can't believe the price and wonder if they are "hot" items.

I know how Msmoto loves her used D800E and thought of her when I saw the prices.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Well, I would suggest to anyone, the way to do this is purchase used unless one can afford anything. But, with the high level of technology, my limited abilities, I am way behind the camera's ability, so why more camera?

However, I would not purchase used unless from a reliable source.
    Msmoto, mod
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Well, I would suggest to anyone, the way to do this is purchase used unless one can afford anything. But, with the high level of technology, my limited abilities, I am way behind the camera's ability, so why more camera?
    However, I would not purchase used unless from a reliable source.
    +1 Msmoto on that one.

Been on vacation for 10 days and today was the first day headed home. My two DSLR's sure have gotten a workout and IQ has been excellent.

Hopefully by the middle of September I will start posting again on PAD. Have some images from the 1880 RR Museum in Hill City, SD that you may like. :D
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • NoXiNNoXiN Posts: 123Member
    Not sure if it's OK to post but massdrop has a Luxi light meter for 19 bucks (+5 for shipping) that plugs into your phone. seems like it's a good deal compared to Amazon. I've bought a few things from massdrop and it seems like an OK place.
    edited September 2015
    Don't see these to often...$150 off Gitzo tripods.

http://www.adorama.com/pdfs/rebates/gitzosystematicmir15.pdf

This is an excellent deal and good toward any Gitzo tripod.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited September 2015
    Yes Gitzo doesn't have sales on products often, usually it happens just before new models are released. I saved over $200 by getting the old model, which weighed 50g more than the new one. Totally worth it.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Yes Gitzo doesn't have sales on products often, usually it happens just before new models are released. I saved over $200 by getting the old model, which weighed 50g more than the new one. Totally worth it.
    +1 PB_PM. They are excellent solid tripods. I used mine on vacation last week and I smiled when I was done. Excellent point about the discount before the new model comes out.

I was in a market for a good reasonably priced mono pod several years ago and found a dissatisfied Gitzo carbon fiber mono pod user and got a $80 discount on a 2 month old mono pod. I was not looking for a Gitzo but had to jump at the price.
    Interesting looking around Flickr, the top 5 Nikon cameras do not include any FX models and the most uploads come from the D7000. :-??
    Always learning.
    That is very interesting and says something about the "avid" photographers and their passion for photography.
    It also says something about Nikon sales, 90% DX, 10% FX would be my guess.
    edited September 2015
    Interesting looking around Flickr, the top 5 Nikon cameras do not include any FX models and the most uploads come from the D7000. :-??
    And the most used cameras on Flickr aren't DSLR's, so does that mean DSLR's are now useless? :p

Quality over quantity IMO.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    It also says something about Nikon sales, 90% DX, 10% FX would be my guess.
    Nikon DSLR sales likely look like this, D3x00 75%, D5x00 15%, everything above that, 10%. ;)
    edited September 2015
    I think perhaps we are both being too optimistic. It's probably more like 95% vs 5% :))
    Post edited by Ironheart on
    Something that occurred to me today - if the wide end of small sensor cameras (especially) gives problems because of the obtuse angle of the incoming light at the edges of the sensor, why don't they make the sensors slightly curved? Maybe a new range of cameras that make new lenses necessary would be a good time for that.

I can obviously see that the manufacturing would be a problem, but then I am sure it isn't insurmountable and it would sort out edge sharpness due to curvature of field too.
    Always learning.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    Something that occurred to me today - if the wide end of small sensor cameras (especially) gives problems because of the obtuse angle of the incoming light at the edges of the sensor, why don't they make the sensors slightly curved? Maybe a new range of cameras that make new lenses necessary would be a good time for that.

I can obviously see that the manufacturing would be a problem, but then I am sure it isn't insurmountable and it would sort out edge sharpness due to curvature of field too.
    Sony already makes a curved sensor:
    Google it for more info.