Too lazy to start a new thread..

Comments

• scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
    I was asked recently if I know of a good place to get calendars made. I am part of another forum (not camera related) and this past year we failed to have a calendar due to the company we used to order from (cafepress) no longer lets you chose a photo for every month. Cafepress had two size options, one around 13x19" for approx $20 and the other 17x24" for around $25 (both guesses at the size).

I saw photobucket looked like they had a create your own type calendar but trust them about as much as I would a two year old with a potato gun
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator

I saw photobucket looked like they had a create your own type calendar but trust them about as much as I would a two year old with a potato gun

LOL! yes. As I was reading your post I was going to say photobucket, but was also thinking the same as your summary above.
    Always learning.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    edited July 2016
    Not really worth it to start a new thread over, but why did Nikon make the D800e anyway?

Especially since there was only 1 model of the D810. Was the D800e a proof of concept to see of removing the anti aliasing filter was something photographers would value? If that's the case, the very next model didn't make that distinction and very soon all the antialiasing filters were removed anyway on the D7100 at least and I think the D600 and D750 too.

Besides, the time between the D800e and the D7100 was so soon they must have been planning to remove the filter from the very beginning anyway.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Guys and girls, need some help. Go grab your polarizer filter and check how far the front ring turns (90 degrees, 180 degrees, or more). I believe I need to replace my Hoya Polarizer filter.

While on vacation in Grand Teton & Yellowstone National parks 2 weeks ago I grabbed the polarizer filter and it would only turn about 45 degrees. It was a little stiff. I had to force it to get more than 45 degrees but could not get more than 90 degrees. Knew that was not normal. So I loosen the filter a few threads so I could rotate the entire filter body to get more than 90 degrees rotation. My failing memory tells me that it should have rotated more than 180 degrees. :)

My hunch is that I need to replace this filter. It should not require so much force to turn. I sent a note to tech support and they said this filter probably has a one year warranty and that if it is within warranty period to return it to the dealer. Never did answer my question as to how far the front ring should rotate. I have got to go digging in my file to see if its a 1 year or 10 year warranty. It's probably older than 10 years, I bought it when I transitioned from film to digital (moving from 52mm to 77mm).

Finally and specific recommendations on a replacement brand and model. I used Nikon and Hoya UV filters for years and within the last 2 years have used B+W filters on the last two lens I purchased. Looking for your comments/recommendation. Anyone need a non working polarizer? :'(
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    edited August 2016
    So... my policy on not retouching photos ever has come back to haunt me. I need to resize a photo and I literally have no photo editing software.

Does anyone know what the easiest way is to resize a photo for someone who doesn't have Photoshop? I need to shrink a photo to 100 kb and 2.5 inches by 3.5 inches. That's super tiny, I know, it's an application for graduate school.

Thanks in advance!

Edit- Actually, figured it out. Preview works well, let me see if I can upload it successfully.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • AmericanLoonieAmericanLoonie Posts: 99Member
    edited August 2016
    @Photobug, get the new B+W HTC KSM CPol. You can not go wrong and it's worth every penny.
    Post edited by AmericanLoonie on
    I looked at the B+W and the higher priced Hoya CPol filters. Thanks for the recommendation. The last two UV filters I got were B+W and they are really nice. Glass is really good.

Again, thanks for your recommendation AmericanLoonie.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • AmericanLoonieAmericanLoonie Posts: 99Member
    edited August 2016
    You bet. Just a few more comments since I'm here:

B+W, Heliopan, and Schneider use Schott glass, which is some of the finest and most consistent/quality tested on the market – the Germans are particularly good at glass production. I do not know where Hoya gets their glass, but I assume it is produced in Japan. Quality for sure, but not nearly as high-grade. Going with any of those three filter producers is the way to go, and they all use brass rings.

The newer HTC polarizer provides amazing polarization with only 1-1.5 stop loss, vs. upwards of 3 stops for other polarizers (including B+W's standard KSM CPol). I also find B+W's Nano coating to be my preference of all coating options available on the market. You will never go back, I promise!
    Post edited by AmericanLoonie on
    That is some step up in price. I knew about the German glass since I have two B+W UV filters. Those are really good and clean up very easily with my Leica lens cleaning cloth. :# I will check it out.
  • BabaGanoushBabaGanoush Posts: 252Member
    @AmericanLoonie: Schott glass was used by professional astronomers for filters and glass plates (for imaging and spectroscopy) because of its quality for many, many years. Of course everything is digital now...
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited August 2016
    Seems like rubbish to me... half truths and illogical conclusions based off false premises ...
    Of course we know that the DSLR market is shrinking ... its been shrinking for years.. guess he just noticed.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Sure, what's interesting is that the web site that it's on is used by investors to decide what to invest in. I agree it's mostly crap, but nobody in the financial world will understand that.
    Looks like at least part of the analysis is coming true:
    http://nikonrumors.com/2016/09/01/yongnuo-yn-35mm-f2-lens-for-nikon-f-mount-now-available.aspx/
    35mm f/2 lens for less than $100
    So then - the new 5Dmk4. No comments on NR, but looks like a game changer for Canon. DxO say better ISO performance than ANY Nikon or Sony. WHAAAAT?

Then there is this re-focussable split pixel sensor malarky. Really?

I post this to hear from the blokes on here that are clevererer than wot I am on whether these features are the future or gimmicks. Seriously.
    Always learning.
    Go take a look at Bill's PDR:
    Camera Model MaximumPDR Low LightISO Low LightEV

Canon EOS 5D Mark III 9.12 3615 10.18
    Canon EOS 5D Mark IV 10.39 4193 10.39

Nikon D4S 10.39 4756 10.57
    Nikon D5 9.36 6982 11.13

Here it is in chart form:

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon EOS 5D Mark III,Canon EOS 5D Mark IV,Nikon D4S,Nikon D5

edited October 2016

Post edited by Ironheart on
    edited October 2016
    Aye, but if you look how far the ISO numbers have come (5D4 Vs D750) - 2995 Vs 2956, Canon have made a big jump from their older 5D2 & 3's. We can no longer say Nikon stomps Canon in that way. The gap has narrowed. I would say to the point of insignificance.

Now what about the twin pixel thing - game changer or gimmick?
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    edited October 2016
    I am glad for my many friends who use canon .. at least I wont look at them with pity in my eyes anymore ;-)

dualpixel is not a gimmick.. at least for video.. very nice af in vid.. even Nikon admits it..Next version of nikon cameras will fix that vid af issue.. I am sure of it. not that it effects me at all :-)
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    Dualpixel is for AF but not the same as "the twin pixel thing".
    The former has been improving, and seems to be getting close to being a gamechanger for video.
    The latter is currently a gimmick IMHO, but I have no idea if it could hold some kind of potential in a future incarnation.
    I'm happy that Canon has caught up regarding sensors. This issue had a tendency to kill the comparison prematurely, before getting to other interesting topics like AF, metering, user interface, etc.
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
    re: dual pixel thingi .. Cool .. didnt know about it.. seems a little bit useful.. I guess its similar to the lythro light field camera which uses 40 pixels per pixel instead of 2 that canon uses. It is probably a "side-effect" of the dual-pixel AF system that they implemented.

edited October 2016
    BTW - this thread is really for one off posts ..Not really for the lazy ;-)
    Its for posts that you really don't expect a discussion on.. :-)
    eg :-)

• bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 104Member
    @heartyfisher: WTF did you just make me watch?? :D :D ;) ;)

• BabaGanoushBabaGanoush Posts: 252Member
    "bald_eagle said: WTF did you just make me watch??"

You were supposed to watch it Twice. Did you?