NIKON...MIRROR LESS NOW WITH FIRMWARE UPDATE

Comments

• AndrewzAndrewz Posts: 122Member
    Unless you put a dial on the adaptor and shoot in A mode like some basic adaptors.
    D750, P7000, F100 80-200 f2.8 AF-S, 24-120 f4, 50 f1.8D, 85 f1.8G, 14-24 f2.8

Old friends now gone -D200, D300, 80-200 f2.3/D, 18-200, 35 f1.8G, 180 f2.8D, F, FM2, MD-12, 50 f1.4 Ais, 50 f1.8 Ais, 105 f2.5 Ais, 24 f2.8 Ais, 180 f2.8 ED Ais
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    mhedges said:

How does that work exactly? Is it controlled by how much that lever is moved? Or is the lever more of an on/off thing and there's another control internal to the lens that governs which exact f stop it opens/closes to?

It's controlled by how much the lever is moved. You can try it yourself by moving the lever with your finger.
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    BVS said:

mhedges said:

How does that work exactly? Is it controlled by how much that lever is moved? Or is the lever more of an on/off thing and there's another control internal to the lens that governs which exact f stop it opens/closes to?

It's controlled by how much the lever is moved. You can try it yourself by moving the lever with your finger.
    Thanks. That's what I thought, because I have moved it with my finger. I'm kind of amazed it can be controlled so reliably.
  • HankBHankB Posts: 222Member
    edited July 2018
    Check out this image:
    https://goo.gl/images/MMmRaq
    Post edited by HankB on
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    After all this, I still plan to order one, with the 24-70 kit lens, as soon as it comes out and hope I get it in time by early December. I'm fortunate that my company buys my hardware (as long as I do the proper requisition paperwork), otherwise I would wait and see.

I'm hoping that the 24 to 70 is f/2.8 or better, rocket fast focus, and that they work out all the details of SnapBridge to coincide with the new camera.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    The 24-70 is rumored to be f/4.
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    BVS said:

The 24-70 is rumored to be f/4.

Well, in that case, I'll use the adapter and my current 24-70. I'm assuming the in-body VR will work with the non-VR lenses...
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    Personally I am totally pi$$ed of with the current teaser situation. I am not going to look at scaled diagrams or read speculation on adaptors. Just a total waste of effort. Nikon know the spec etc they are just taking us all for silly buggers with this teaser rubbish. Going to sleep now until the 23 rd
  • HikerHiker Posts: 197Member
    Pistnbroke, totally agree. And I'm still reading of those with Nikon and Canon making the switch. Nikon needs to stop the nonsense, stop people from switching, and release the specs. That alone would keep people from making the switch.
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    In about 3 or 4 years mirrorless will get it fully together and by then the "shake out" will have occurred amongst the manufacturers and the Gen 6 cameras will be out and someone else's wallet(s) will paid for all of it.

You can always tell the early adopters in this business. They are the ones with the flaming arrows in their back.

Really if you have to buy all new lenses you may as well make the switch to medium format. It has a much "bigger" upside (pun intended).

LOL

Denver Shooter
  • moreorlessmoreorless Posts: 120Member
    edited July 2018
    Hiker said:

Pistnbroke, totally agree. And I'm still reading of those with Nikon and Canon making the switch. Nikon needs to stop the nonsense, stop people from switching, and release the specs. That alone would keep people from making the switch.

...or alternatively just wait for 3 weeks rather than whining, nobodies forcing you to follow any teasers.

Post edited by moreorless on
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,708Member
    Nikon needs to sell more cameras so they have more money for R&D, we should all agree on that. Now what is the best way to do so? 1. Build a great camera like the D850 and D500. 2. Make sure everyone knows about it: i.e. advertise. In this day and age a lot of free advertising can be obtained, especially on the internet, by a teasing campaign. That is what Nikon is doing now. Every tease is amplified by being repeated on many websites and in many youtube videos. Knowledgeable people, like us, get tired of the tease but it does work to reach more people than one announcement of the facts. Let Nikon be successful if this way helps. We will benefit in the end.

Hiker said:

...or alternatively just wait for 3 weeks rather than whining, nobodies forcing you to follow any teasers.

Not whining...stating the obvious, even to those without a brain it's obvious..

Nikon needs to sell more cameras so they have more money for R&D, we should all agree on that. Now what is the best way to do so? 1. Build a great camera like the D850 and D500. 2. Make sure everyone knows about it: i.e. advertise. In this day and age a lot of free advertising can be obtained, especially on the internet, by a teasing campaign. That is what Nikon is doing now. Every tease is amplified by being repeated on many websites and in many youtube videos. Knowledgeable people, like us, get tired of the tease but it does work to reach more people than one announcement of the facts. Let Nikon be successful if this way helps. We will benefit in the end.

They need to sell more cameras for sure, but I don't think the D850 or the D500 are really large volume movers. Just as always the volume is at the lower end - the 3xxx and 5xxx series. I hope they don't get ignored much longer.

Hiker said:

Hiker said:

Not whining...stating the obvious, even to those without a brain it's obvious..
    I wouldn't agree at all, I think Nikon's tactics are pretty common in marketing and can effectively build interest.

• rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    I hope the size of the mirrorless is as small as the comparison between it and the D700 shows.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    mhedges said:

They need to sell more cameras for sure, but I don't think the D850 or the D500 are really large volume movers. Just as always the volume is at the lower end - the 3xxx and 5xxx series. I hope they don't get ignored much longer.

Where do you get that idea from? Obviously the D850 has exceeded Nikon's expectations or there wouldn't be such a shortage of them in the USA. They would never sell the same number as they do the 3xxx, 5xxx or 7xxx's so I don't see any valid comparison to be drawn there.
    Always learning.
  • HankBHankB Posts: 222Member

Well put!

mhedges said:

Where do you get that idea from? Obviously the D850 has exceeded Nikon's expectations or there wouldn't be such a shortage of them in the USA. They would never sell the same number as they do the 3xxx, 5xxx or 7xxx's so I don't see any valid comparison to be drawn there.
    The post I quoted referenced the D850/D500 as to what a company should do to sell lots of cameras. I'm just saying while it's good for the overall product line to have expensive industry leading products those products don't directly result in a ton of sales. Like you said, the volume comes from the DX line. Which hasn't seen much attention other than the rather poorly received D7500.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Personally, I (and doubtless Nikon) would be far more worried if they were freely available - perhaps already with offers to get them moving.
    Always learning.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 739Member
    edited July 2018
    rmp said:

I hope the size of the mirrorless is as small as the comparison between it and the D700 shows.

Bob, How big are your hands? My first exposure to the world of DSLRs was a D5100. It was uncomfortably small. My D7200 and D610 could be a little larger than they are, but I'm happy with them. My wife's D3400 feels tiny by comparison. I swear it's not much bigger than her Panasonic Lumix point and shoot.

That mockup on the blog is simply too small for me to manage. Add a longish lens to the mix and the body might disappear.

Jim
    Post edited by Capt_Spaulding on
    edited August 2018
    I'm not really sure why that paper model is being used so seriously, it quite clearly doesn't match the images we've seen released so far, most obviously in the shape of the grip.
    Post edited by moreorless on
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,708Member
    Nikon will not ignore the D3xxx and D5xxx series. They just are not the first mirrorless products launched because they are "cheaper" or "compromised" products by their nature. Nikon needs to launch a "wow" mirrorless body first to compete, and surpass, the Sony A7 bodies. We want to see Sony A7 users switch to Nikon mirrorless because it offers more. Much of the tech in Nikon's first two FX mirrorless bodies to launch will trickle down, as usual, to all the lower prices series. Look for two "great" FX mirrorless bodies this year and two or three DX mirrorless bodies next year to replace the D3xxx, D5xxx and D7xxx series. Other than the D500, the DX series might all go mirrorless next year with no DSLR replacements. I think the D500 will remain in the lineup for some years yet because it is such a good camera. The FX bodies such as the D6, D850, D750 may remain DSLRs for one more cycle but we will have to wait to see just how good the mirrorless design is. The question will be whether the OVF still offers some advantages over the EVF for another generation of bodies or not. We won't know until we see real world comparisons between the two body types. Advantages which may remain for the traditional DSLR body might be no viewfinder lag, longer battery life, better compatibility with legacy lenses (depends upon the adapter Nikon is developing), faster autofocus, etc. Advantages for the mirrorless body may be new and better ergonomics, WYSIWYG in the EVF, lighter body, fewer parts to break since it doesn't have a mirror, faster fps since it doesn't have to move the mirror out of the way each time, etc. It is going to be a great next few years for Nikon gear geeks. There will be lots and lots to talk about.
    As was pointed out on other forums...the D850 is having "showing up" issues. If they can't get the 850 into peoples hands after one year from release, how on Earth will they get a mirrorless camera out? And then there are the lenses. And then, hopefully for those with F mount lenses a decent priced adaptor. And then hopefully the adaptor works. People are having issues with adaptors on Sony A7 cameras. Let's hope Nikon comes through.