NIKON...MIRROR LESS NOW WITH FIRMWARE UPDATE

Comments

• rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    Is this when we get the delay? Or is that tomorrow?
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    You can only be sure when the fat lady sings...
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,706Member
    Let's just hope they put out a good mirrorless product which exceeds any features and usability Sony (and soon Cannon) has. Slow production can be increased over time, bugs can be fixed with software updates, but a weak design will cost Nikon more lost market share. We Nikon users want a strong, profitable company with the resources to R & D new products as well as service those we already own.
  • HikerHiker Posts: 197Member
    Nikon, like Sony had no idea how popular the D850 and the A7iii respectively would be. Nikon and to a lesser extent Sony played it safe. Which I think is the problem that is driving the comments about the D850 not being in stock. They only made so many. Then were surprised how well it sold. And got behind in manufacturing them. But that's just speculation on my part. The A7iii is trickling in slowly. Can't find any sales info on either.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited July 2018

"Nikon can not afford to buy production plants and train staff..."

Or maybe they don't have a clue about how to gauge market demand for their new products because their marketing department sucks and doesn't give them the information needed to decide how large a production run they should do. Maybe if Nikon had better contact with its customer base, they might be able to judge more properly how well received one of their new product would be.

Since you seem to have a bad habit of taking things out of context to fit your anti-Nikon, pro Sony agenda it's almost pointless to try and communicate, but try I will.

If you are a business, a smaller multi-national company like Nikon, that produces products like cameras, hiring extra stuff just to meet a short period of demand you will loose in the long run. It costs a lot of money to train staff, and acquire equipment and facilities. When that initial demand is gone you have to lay everyone off, and let the building sit empty, not a terribly profitable prospect. It is far better for them to keep the same well trained staff long term, keep the same facilities and equipment, and build at a slower rate.

In fact Nikon did just that a number of years ago, and ended up with stock piles of old cameras that they still cannot sell (look around, you can still buy new D7000s, D3200s, etc). In another thread some individuals blamed Nikon for having too many products available, so no matter what they cannot win in the eyes of some.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator

Let's just hope they put out a good mirrorless product which exceeds any features and usability Sony (and soon Cannon) has. Slow production can be increased over time, bugs can be fixed with software updates, but a weak design will cost Nikon more lost market share. We Nikon users want a strong, profitable company with the resources to R & D new products as well as service those we already own.

I'll drink to that.
    Always learning.
  • BabaGanoushBabaGanoush Posts: 252Member
    "Since you seem to have a bad habit of taking things out of context to fit your anti-Nikon, pro Sony agenda it's almost pointless to try and communicate, but try I will. "

And you have a bad habit of taking words out of context by claiming I have a pro-Sony and anti-Nikon bias, when nothing could be farther from the truth. I run/use 4 different camera "systems", of which Nikon was my first (from way back in the 1960s) and Sony is only my latest. I don't have a brand loyalty; I just want the best gear possible and I don't give a fig who makes it. I think a nearly 60 year connection to Nikon shows that I am not out to "get" Nikon. I want Nikon to "get" better.

And might I add that taking an unjustifiably accusatory tone with other commenters is a sure way to drive people away from the Forum. We can disagree, but let's keep it civil, shall we? This is not any one person's forum. It doesn't need protection for its purity against "bad thoughts".

Enough guys please, Let's leave it there.

Back on topic now.
    Always learning.
    The actual date of the Nikon "100 years " is 25th July that's Wednesday . So if the proposed Mirrorless is coming then to keep in with Japanese tradition Wednesday is the last day ….….
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I suppose I can throw into the pile some of my thoughts.... dangerous as they might be.

I most likely will grab one of the new bodies after the first of the year and possibly a lens or two. As has been suggested, the DSLR bodies will begin a decline, but maybe no more than one might see in the absence of the mirrorless. For sure, a lot of folks will want the current 'standard' in professional photography. But it would appear from my perspective that if a camera can do everything the present D5, for example, is capable of, plus outperform it in many ways, noise, FPS, image stabilization, the only conclusion I can come to is that this will become the standard.

We (those older than dirt) saw this when the DSLR was being born in the 1960's and the rangefinder became much less popular. Yet there are many who love their Leica cameras, and if I could afford one, who knows.

I am very happy about the fact we are finally seeing what many of us have been waiting years to see born.
    Msmoto, mod
    edited July 2018
    Well as its well after 6 pm in Japan I don't think we will see anything today.
    When My wedding business finally dies next year I might trade in my two D810 for a mirrorless
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    Soooooo....that's it? A carrot dangled in front of us for months and to have Nikon release just THAT? I can put on Star Wars and Star Trek movies and get those special effects. Now we (might) have to wait until Wednesday for an official announcement because that's their anniversary? Good god...
    edited July 2018
    Mate, you are soooo negative! Can't you be happy that it is immanent? LOL!
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.

Mate, you are soooo negative! Can't you be happy that it is immanent? LOL!

LOL, not being negative, just realistic!! We waited and waited and still we are..well...waiting!!!
  • sportsport Posts: 120Member
    They do this with every camera. Nikon is just trying to get as much audience as possible. This is like watching my kids before Christmas.
    This is like being the kids before Christmas, not watching. :-)
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    The blog now says to expect a formal announcement August 23? And teasers till then? Wonder how much actual info we will get with these teasers.
    edited July 2018
    Did someone just move Christmas?
    Post edited by rmp on
    Well I don't see and on/off around the shutter release which for me is a 100% no no.
    I don't get why we even need an on/off switch. Just auto-on when we touch the shutter button and auto off after 10 secs inactivity.
    Always learning.
    what you suggest is an impractical no no
    We've already got half of that, and given that the cameras start so fast these days I can't see the problem. Do explain?
    Always learning.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    edited July 2018
    @spraynpray, interesting idea but I am sceptical and I don't see any problem with the current solution. I've got some questions that may help to validate the idea:
    1. If the camera is turned off and you want to check photos on the screen, would you then need to push the shutter first?
    2. If you are waiting for birds to fly by, would you then need to push the shutter every ten seconds to not risk the camera from being turned off when a bird flies by?
    3. Is the circuit completly shut off after ten seconds so that it is safe to change batteries?
    Post edited by snakebunk on
  • HankBHankB Posts: 222Member
    With electronic equipment, there are multiple stages between the pure states of full "on" and full "off". The devil is in the details.
    When I say touch, I don't mean take a picture, just touch the first pressure which most people use for focus. Cameras start in a fraction of a second these days, so BIF or whatever, it isn't a problem IMHO

When using my cameras, after turning it on I usually touch the shutter button to get the focus close before composing. When shooting sports or macro with AF-C, I track the subject with the first pressure taken up. I see no issues with turning the camera on. As for what happens when it times out, that is up to the designers. It needs to be fully off so lenses and batteries can be changed.

I don't see accidental switch bumping as any more of a problem than it is now - zero.

I am only hypothesising after Pistnbroke said no power switch round the shutter button was a deal breaker. Many battery operated items around the home turn themselves off on time out, why should a camera be any different?
    Always learning.