Z9 is coming

Comments

• Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    Hmmm. OK. Sorta like a pacifier in the pie-hole.
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 646Member

Hmmm. OK. Sorta like a pacifier in the pie-hole.

I don't know why you would put a gun in someones mouth, but suspect that'll be efficient.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    That's what photobunny was referring to. :#
    Always learning.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    edited May 2021
    Thanks. I eventually figured it out. Reminds me of the shop manual for my old Norton. I looked all over the motorcycle for a gudgeon pin. I thought it was a joke at first.
    Post edited by Capt_Spaulding on
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited May 2021
    Did you ever find a tappet.or a bendix though a trunion is possible.
    Ialso discovered what you call a tune up is just a service.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    I saw this one, source thenewcamera.com

According to the latest rumors coming from the rumor mill, Nikon Z9 will have a continuous shooting speed of up to 30 fps and will feature a 45MP Fullframe BSI CMOS sensor. Take a look at the updated core specification of the Nikon Z9 camera

Nikon Z9 updated core specification
    Newly developed 45MP high-resolution stacked FX sensor
    30 fps
    Integrated vertical grip handle
    The Z9 is Nikon flagship Mirrorless Model
    Multishot-mode
    16-bit RAW option
    8k30p, 4k120/60/30p (support for 8K video recording)
    New EXPEED image-processing engine designed for 8k (newly developed Imaging Pipeline Processor to broaden sensor readout emphasizing speed)
    Improved AF (Object detection AF)
    “Stunning” AF tracking (better than the D6)
    Advanced real-time tracking
    Two XQD/CFX type B memory card slots
    ISO 64 – 25,600, Hi1, Hi2
    Improved noise levels and specifically significantly better dynamic range
    High resolution, blackout-free EVF: probably 5.76 MP or maybe even 9k MP viewfinder, 120 Hz refresh rate (the resolution can be reduced to increase the refresh rate)
    New user interface (no second LCD screen on the back like the D6)
    New battery: Nikon EN-EL18x
    Gbit LAN, USB-C, WiFi, GPS, built-in transmitter
    Price: $6,000 – $7,000
    Scheduled to be tested in August
    Rumored to be announced in November/December
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • trolleytrolley Posts: 206Member
    It was posted on Nikon Rumors on Friday
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    Ahhh, I missed that one.
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    I am looking forward to it.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Think I'll wait for a Z7III, ain't going to pay $6-7k for a camera, when it isn't paying the bills.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    I look forward to the Z9 coming out so we can discuss facts, not rumors. It looks to be quite an achievement for Nikon. I hope that is true when the body is finally released. I would not have thought the first pro sports action wildlife Nikon mirrorless body would have better than D850 level resolution with better than D6 autofocus and better than D6 speed. That will be quite amazing!
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    I agree. I was sort-of thinking my Z6II would be my last camera but "... first pro sports action wildlife Nikon mirrorless body would have better than D850 level resolution with better than D6 autofocus and better than D6 speed" might make me upgrade at least one more time.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
    Where are you guys getting "better than D850" resolution?

I think that like the D6, Nikon will go with the "lowest acceptable resolution" to maximize other factors (speed, high ISO performance etc.).

I think that 8k DCI (8,192 * 4,320) is a basic requirement in a professional camera moving forward which means a 45mp sensor. The reason that 8k DCI is a basic requirement is a whole other discussion.
    Well it’ll be 45 or 50MP and with a markably newer processor we should expect a cleaner read out than the d850. I am expecting the Z9 gives you great IQ at ISO 14,000 like my Z6but with more FPS, more MP, and a much faster EVF. I wouldn’t expect any earth shattering IQ difference between it and the D850 at most ISO levels, there isn’t any new tech that can magically reduce high ISO noise in just one generation.

Well it’ll be 45 or 50MP and with a markably newer processor we should expect a cleaner read out than the d850. I am expecting the Z9 gives you great IQ at ISO 14,000 like my Z6but with more FPS, more MP, and a much faster EVF. I wouldn’t expect any earth shattering IQ difference between it and the D850 at most ISO levels, there isn’t any new tech that can magically reduce high ISO noise in just one generation.

Yes. We are running up against quantum mechanics. I think the tech will be about disguising noise, not reducing it.

Yes. We are running up against quantum mechanics. I think the tech will be about disguising noise, not reducing it.
    You can still reduce ISO noise with faster readouts, newer processors, better cooling. But that seems to be closer to every decade than 2-4 years. Regardless, if it looks like film grain it is fine by me. If it is worse, then Topaz Labs can make it magically go away even on my old Canon 7D images.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    edited July 2021
    I too thought this and expected a 24 mp level sensor: "Where are you guys getting "better than D850" resolution? I think that like the D6, Nikon will go with the "lowest acceptable resolution" to maximize other factors (speed, high ISO performance etc.)." BUT, if that new sensor is 40 or so mp then when you combine it with the great S glass I think you will find your resolution is better than the D850 with F mount glass. But of course, we have to wait and see what it actually is.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
    It records 8k so it has to be 45-50MP and was never going to be 20-30MP.
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    8K video format specs are as follows:
    Resolution: 7,680 x 4,320 pixels (33.2 megapixels)
    Aspect Ratio: 16:9
    Color Bit Depth: 12-bit color
    Color Space: Rec.2020
    Frame Rate: 120 fps
    @DenverShooter and Nikon sensors are not 16:9 so the MP count has to be 45-50 MP depending on aspect ratio. There is also two forms of 8k. Unless we are going to have a 16:9 crop sensor/super 35 sensor in the Z9 it will have to comply to 45-50 MP like the Canon R5 and Sony A1.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member

8K video format specs are as follows:
    Resolution: 7,680 x 4,320 pixels (33.2 megapixels)
    Aspect Ratio: 16:9
    Color Bit Depth: 12-bit color
    Color Space: Rec.2020
    Frame Rate: 120 fps

That's one of the 8K specs - the "broadcast" spec, I think. There is another 8K which extends the aspect ratio to around 1.9:1 - 8192 x 4320 which I think is sometimes referred to as the "cinema" spec. I believe R5 and A1 are both capable of the latter but I'm not sure.
    8k DCI is 8,192 pixels on the long axis. On a 2:3 sensor that is slightly less than 45mp. Now with IBIS, you will want a few more pixels unless Nikon can keep the sensor perfectly aligned physically - but that alignment might be easier electronically which simplifies the mechanics. 8,477 pixels on the long axis will mean a 48mp sensor. Then you will be able to do almost any 8k format with IBIS.

16:9 is a common aspect ration. A 2:3 sensor is 16:10.67, so no problems there. All the "cinema" aspect ratios reduce the short axis even more. You could say the more "cinema", the less pixels being used.

If Nikon goes with a bigger sensor, it will either have to introduce a crop factor (not the best headline even though a 90% crop is not a practical issue) or use the entire sensor readout and reconstitute an 8k image from that - which uses lots of processing power. Therefore, 45-48mp is the sweet spot for 8k video. It is also the sweet spot for 4k video because the readout from 4 pixels is very easily combined into 1 pixel.