PHOTO-A-DAY: March 2013

Comments

• dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    Dissent, can you try raising the iso to 400 to get to f8? Thats what I figure I have to shoot at for sharpness on the 70-300.
    Thanks, I'll give that a try. :)
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    edited March 2013
    Post edited by Beso on
    Occasionally a decent image ...
  • GitzoGitzo Posts: 174Member
    Msmoto says.......The flower was outdoors, wind about 15 mph, temp about 40°F. I caught one as the wind dropped...lucky shot... SB-800 w/Lumiquest box

@ Msmoto...........I'm living in the wrong state! snow on the ground yesterday morning, all gone by 4 PM; no snow this morning till 2:00 PM.......now we have 3 inches on the ground again, and about that much on all the tree limbs; very pretty, almost looks like Yettibuddah's beautiful picture of Lolo Pass; ( just kidding; that's a little deeper )

@ Pippigurl........I see what you mean about being "more typical"! actually, that's how most of them look; the pretty one from yesterday looked like they had it all painted up to be in a movie.

@ Benji........Boy that sure is a pretty green place! That looks like the northern most Hawaiian Island that starts with a K (that I forget how to spell) If it is, up in the mountains I'm told is the wettest place on Earth. Very beautiful !
    Drat ! Just as I clicked that last comment box, Besso put this lovely young lady up; absolutely beautiful lighting, in addition to the beautiful "subject"; ( There's just nothing like pretty girls to make pretty pictures, is there ?)
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Aw, nuts Mike....
    Always learning.
  • itsnotmeyouknowitsnotmeyouknow Posts: 481Member
    Don't think I'll use the AF-S 60 Micro G for portraits! Really brings out detail - I'd been working in the garden and had my camera plus lenses plus the Nissin Ring Flash - need to work on my flash work.

1/60 ƒ/8 ISO 100 60 mm Nikon D800

holding-a-screw
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    More coffee shop stuff...

Coffee Shop
    Msmoto, mod
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    _DSC1580
    D90 | 24-70 | 24mm | f/5.6 | 1/400s | ISO 400
    Processed using Silver Efex.
  • mikepmikep Posts: 280Member
    my local bar last year. d700 24 1.4 @ 1.4

bar in ainosato
  • JuergenJuergen Posts: 315Member
    Did not post so much this month, not much time.
    Great pics everybody.
    Dog fun

Hope the winter is over soon.
    Jürgen
    D4, D800E, Nikon 1 J2, 600 f/4, trinity, PC-E 45, PC-E 24, 105, 50 f/1,8g, 85 f/1,4, Sigma 150-500
  • TheGipperTheGipper Posts: 110Member
    A great friend and willing model :)

Love Life
  • So nice using ISO 3200 unpunished.

The color of nature

Avifauna-3675.jpg
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • MikeFrewerMikeFrewer Posts: 51Member
    edited March 2013
    imageWoodpecker" />
    Post edited by MikeFrewer on
  • mikepmikep Posts: 280Member
    ton, that is one whacky looking bird
  • rschnaiblerschnaible Posts: 308Member
    My share for today.....

Martinez California
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

Such good work, all!

Nikon D7100 ISO 500 1/250 105mm Micro Nikkor f2.8 @ f32, with a scrimmed SB900.

My best,

Mike
  • DXV_PhotoDXV_Photo Posts: 160Member
    Just some playing around the house.

DSC_6612.jpg
  • ben_v3ben_v3 Posts: 59Member
    _DSC5828.jpg
    I decided to turn the camera to shoot in monochrome since we were in a dark pub and I thought the grain would look better in B&W. I was extremely confused when I imported into lightroom and all the pictures were in color!
    D600 | AF-S 24-70mm 1:2.8G ED | AF 20mm 1:2.8 D | SB-800
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_v3/
    Drat ! Just as I clicked that last comment box, Beso put this lovely young lady up; absolutely beautiful lighting, in addition to the beautiful "subject"; ( There's just nothing like pretty girls to make pretty pictures, is there ?)
    So very true Gitzo!
    @MikeGunter - So very well done. Even the shadow seems to be zinc plated.

• Dredden85Dredden85 Posts: 365Member
    @Ton- What kind of bird is that and where did you find one?!
    @MikeFrewer- It looks we are in the same boat and are in need of Coastalconn's Tammy.
    @ben_v3- Looks like the menus there are good too!

Great shots everyone!
    D7000, 18-200VRII | 50 1.8G | SB-900

@ben_v3 "I decided to turn the camera to shoot in monochrome since we were in a dark pub and I thought the grain would look better in B&W. I was extremely confused when I imported into lightroom and all the pictures were in color!"

I am not sure with the D600 but with the D800 you set the Picture Control to Monochrome and then set the toning to B&W. Your PP seems to have worked just fine though.

I think Ton's picture is a Ohwow bird; every time I look at him, I'm thinking, "Oh Wow"! Between him and Dredden's unidentified bird a few days ago, that make two birds in one week I can't ever remember seeing before!

@ Mike Frewer........If you come over to my house you can take pictures of downey woodpeckers that are only about 3 feet outside the family room window; between about 4 pairs of downey's, a bunch of red heads, and 1 red belly, my woodpeckers are going through 2 suet cakes every day!
  • tganiatstganiats Posts: 131Member
    Almost a full moon, so thought I'd try a moonlit landscape. I don't know...I like it dark...can also see it being nice a stop brighter. Thoughts?

DSC_0492.2

D800 with 50mm 1.8 @ f/2.0 for 6 seconds, ISO 500.
    I'm thinking any brighter and the stars wouldn't "pop" like they do now; I also think that if it was if it was blown up to about 16 X 20 it would make a very nice print, just the way it is now.
This discussion has been closed.